Main Article Content
Past literature suggests memorizing the Quran enhances one’s learning and overall memory performance. This study investigates the effect of hifdh on high school students’ short-term memory recall performance in Saudi Arabia. The research specifically aims to explore whether the ability to memorize Quran will affect the short-term memory of the individuals. One hundred high school students residing in Saudi Arabia, aged between 13-20 years, were divided into two groups of 50 students each. The first group consisted of huffadh students with 28 males and 21 females, while the non-huffadh group had 13 males and 36 females. All were given a word list recall task consisting of both English and Arabic word lists. They were asked to immediately recall words to the best they can at the end of every list. The analysis shows that the memory performance differed between the two groups. This finding suggests that hifdh has a significant effect on individuals’ short-term memory performance.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Ahmed, A. & Ahmad, N. (2017). Comparative analysis of rote learning on high and low achievers in graduate and undergraduate programs. Journal of Education and Educational Development, 4(1), 111-129. https://doi.org/10.22555/joeed.v4i1.982
- Al Hafiz, M. M., Yusof, M. F., Ghazali, M. A., & Sawari, S. S. M. (2016). Descriptive qualitative teaching method of memorization in the institution of Tahfiz al-Quran wal Qiraat Pulai Condong and the students’ level of academic excellence. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 7(1), 79. http://www.richtmann.org/journal/index.php/mjss/article/view/8721
- BrainFacts.org. (2020). Your complex brain. https://www.brainfacts.org/core-concepts/your-complex-brain#:~:text=The%20brain%20is%20the%20body's,of%20which%20are%20in%20use.&text=Humans%20have%20a%20complex%20nervous,enormous%20social%20and%20economic%20impact
- Cherry, K. (2020, May 11). How consolidation turns short-term memories into long-term ones. Very well mind. https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-memory-consolidation-2795355
- Cherry, K. (2020, May 15). What is memory? Very well mind. https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-memory-2795006
- Cherry, K. (2020, May 15). Short-term memory duration and capacity. Very well mind. https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-short-term-memory-2795348#:~:text=You%20can%20increase%20the%20duration,also%20highly%20susceptible%20to%20interference
- Corder, G. W., & Foreman, D. I. (2014). Non-parametric statistics- A step-by-step approach (Second ed.). John Wiley & Sons.
- Dajani, H. (2018, August 4). Mastering the mind: The phenomena of Quran memorization. The National News. https://www.thenationalnews.com/uae/education/mastering-the-mind-the-phenomena-of-quran-memorisation-1.759989
- Dzulkifli, M. A., Abdul Rahman, A. B., Badi, J. A., & Solihu, A. H. (2016). Routes to remembering: Lessons from al Huffaz. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 7(3), 121-128. https://doi.org/10.5901/mjss.2016.v7n3s1p121
- Garlock, D., V. (2020, January 21). Garlock: The benefits of memorization. AuburnPub. https://auburnpub.com/lifestyles/garlock-the-benefits-of-memorization/article_a212e6a4-24fe-5e8e-a8f8-cf345904b233.html
- Ghiasi, A., & Keramat, A. (2018). The effect of listening to Holy Quran recitation on anxiety: A systematic review. Iranian journal of nursing and midwifery research, 23(6), 411-420. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijnmr.IJNMR_173_17
- Hojjati, A., Rahimi, A., Farehani, M. D., Gharamaleki, N. S., & Alien, B. (2014). Effectiveness of Quran Tune on memory in children. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 114, 283-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.12.699
- Khosravizadeh, P., & Gerami, S. (2011). Word list recall in younger and older adults. Brain Broad Research In Artificial Intelligence And Neuroscience, 2(1), 5-10. https://www.edusoft.ro/brain/index.php/brain/article/view/140
- Lakzaei, J., Sanagoo, A., Kavosi, A., Jouybari, L., Kavosi, A., Haghdost, Z., & Nasiri, H. (2019). A comparison of Quran-memorizers and non-memorizers’ mental health in Gorgan. Journal of Research on Religion and Health, 4(5), 57-66. https://journals.sbmu.ac.ir/en-jrrh/article/view/23876
- Loomes, C., Rasmussen, C., Pei, J., Manji, S., & Andrew, G. (2008). The effect of rehearsal training on working memory span of children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 29(2), 113-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2007.01.001
- Ma’ruf, I. J., Hartanto, O., & Suminah, S. (2019). Memorizing Al Quran improves quality of life stroke patients with Motoric Aphasia Disorders. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 292. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/292/1/012030
- McGill. (n.d.). Memory and learning. The Brain. https://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/d/d_07/d_07_p/d_07_p_tra/d_07_p_tra.html#:~:text=Short%2Dterm%20memory%20has%20a,retention%2C%20long%2Dterm%20memory
- Nawaz, N., & Jahangir, S. F. (2015). Effect of memorizing Quran by heart (hifz) on later academic achievement. Journal of Islamic Studies and Culture, 3(1), 58-64. https://doi.org/10.15640/jisc.v3n1a8
- Parle, M., Singh, N., & Vasudevan, M. (2006). Regular rehearsal helps in consolidation of long-term memory. Journal of Sports Science & Medicine, 5(1), 80-88.
- Porter, J. (2014). An Investigation in the Use of Memorizing as a Learning Method When Teaching Measurement in a Technology Education Classroom. [Master’s Thesis, Utah State University]. https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1418&context=gradreports
- Putra, P. S., Gumilar, R., Kusuma, S. R., Purnomo, H., & Basumerda, C. (2018). The effect of Quran’s murottal’s audio on short term memory. MATEC Web of Conferences, 154(1). https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/201815401060
- Rodriguez, E. (2020, November). Memory. Britannica. https://www.britannica.com/science/memory-psychology
- Saleem, A. (2015). Does memorization without comprehension result in language learning? [Doctoral Dissertation, Cardiff University]. https://orca.cf.ac.uk/75307/1/A.%20Saleem%20PhD%20thesis.pdf
- Slamet, S. (2019). The effect of memorizing Quran on the children’s cognitive intelligence. Humanities and Social Sciences Reviews, 7(3). 571-575. https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2019.7384 571
- Smith, M., Segal, J., & Robinson, L. (2019, June). How to improve your memory. HelpGuide. https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-living/how-to-improve-your-memory.htm#:~:text=The%20brain’s%20incredible%20ability%20to,tips%20can%20show%20you%20how.
- Saquib, N., Saquib, J., Alhadlag, A., Albakour, M. A., Aljumah, B., Sughayyir, M., Alhomidan, Z., Alminderej, O., Aljaser, M., Al-Dhlawiy, A. M., & Al-Mazrou, A. (2017). Health benefits of Quran memorization for older men. SAGE open medicine, 5. https://doi.org/10.1177/2050312117740990
- The Human Memory. (2020, November 25). Short term (working) memory. https://human-memory.net/short-term-working-memory/
- The Human Memory. (2020, November 25). The study of human memory. https://human-memory.net/the-study-of-human-memory/