Main Article Content
This study was conducted to investigate class activity in drilling pronunciation for English subject at junior high school level. It was conducted at MTsN Banda Aceh II, Aceh. To collect the data, the researcher used test, observation and interview. The students were taught by loud to improve students’ pronunciation in English. Several paragraphs were taken in charge of supporting loud reading drills.The drills took 45 minutes in one section. Test was used to identify the success of loud reading in teaching pronunciation. Observation, on the other hand, was designed to observe the school environment, teaching method, and students’ assessment. In addition, interview was carried out informally to the headmaster and teachers of MTsN Banda Aceh II. This study reveals that the mean is 80.2. This shows a positive use of the loud reading applied at the school. The study also exposes that this method is effective to help their reading ability and to maintain their pronunciation. Thus, the researcher concludes that loud reading has been effectively boosted the students’ pronunciation.
- Atunez, Beth. (2002). Implementing Reading First with English Language Learners. National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition & Language Instruction Educational Programs; Directions in Language and Educations,(15).
- Clifford, H. Prator, Jr. (1971). Manual of American English Pronunciation: Third Edition. University of California: Los Angles.Press.
- Given, Lisa M. (2008). The Sage encyclopedia of qualitaive research method.Research Method Encyclopedia. United Stated of America : SAGE Publication, Inc.
- Hornby, A. S. (1995). Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of Current English. Oxford University press.
- Jones, Daniel. (1956). The Pronunciation of English: Definitive Edition (4.ed.). Melbourne: Cambridge University Press.
- Kelly, Derek. (2007). The Technique in teaching and measuring classroomloud reading. International Journal of Teaching English as Second Language. http://iteslj.org/Techniques/Kelly-ReadingAloud.html
- Lettinga, F. (2010). English Phonetics: for the B-1 courses in Indonesia. Semarang : teacher of English M.O leader of The B-1English Courses
- Mary Waters and Alan Water. (1995). Study Task in English: Student’s Book. Melbourne: Cambridge University Press.
- Nunan, David. (1999). Second Language Teaching and Learning. Boston; Massachusetts: Heinle&Hienline Publishers.
- Raymond C. Clark. (2002). Index Card Games for ESL (1.ed.)Vermont: Prolingua Associates Barattlebaro.
- Richards, Jack C. and Rodgers, Theodore S. (2003). Approach and Methods in language Leaning (4.ed.). Cambridge University press.