Main Article Content
This study is to find out whether speed reading improves student’s reading skill of the eleventh grade students at SMA Negeri 2 Langsa. The population of this research is the entire eleventh grade students at SMAN 2 Langsa. This study used quazy experiment. Test in the form of multiple choices through speed reading was used as instrument of this study. It is found that the result of pre-test and post-test in both experimental and control class is different. In experiment class, the average score of multiple choices test is higher than that
of control class. Based on t-test analysis, it was found that the t score(2,02)> ttable(2,71). It can be concluded that tscore is higher than ttable, thus hypothesis is accepted. Meanwhile, in control class, the students’ average score of speed test was 135 WPM and improves at least 1832 WPM in experiment class. The students’ reading skill of SMAN 2 Langsa in speed test is good. 1 students in experiment class secured A and no student obtained the same grade in control class. 9 students in experiment class got B while only 5 students from control class obtained the same score. It shows that experiment class performs better than that of control class. Thus, teaching reading skill by using speed reading at SMAN 2 Langsa is successfull and proves that speed reading improves students’ reading skill.
- Abdurrahman, Alwiyah. (2007). Quantum Learning: Membiasakan Belajar Nyaman dan Menyenangkan. Bandung: Kaifa.
- Arikunto, Suharsimi. (2002). Prosedur Penelitian Suatu Pendekatan Praktik. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.
- Brown, H. Douglas. (2003). Language Assessment: Principle and Classroom Practice. United States of Amerika:
- Longman .
- Brown, H.Douglas. (1987). Principle of Language Learning and Teaching. England Cliffs, NJ: Prientice Hall.
- Buzan, Tony. (2010). Use Your Head: How to Unleash the Power of Your Mind. England: BBC Active.
- Doyle, Dennis. Speed Reading Self-Pacing Methods. Glendale Community College. Retrieved December 2015. from email@example.com.
- Margono. (2007). Metodologi Penelitian Pendidikan. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.
- Ningsih, Iput Rahayu. (2014). Kemampuan Membaca Cepat Siswa Kelas VII Sekolah Menengah Pertama Negeri 13 satu Atap Tanjungpinang Tahun Pelajaran 2013/2014. (Mahasiswa Jurusan Pendidikan Bahasa Dan Sastra Indonesia Fakultas Keguruan Dan Ilmu Pendidikan Universitas Maritim Raja Ali Haji Tanjungpinang.
- Nordiques, Richard. (2004). Reading Speed Glossary of Grammatical and Rhetorical Term. France: Pearson Education.
- Riduwan. (2004). Belajar Mudah Penelitian. Bandung: Alfabeta.
- Sugiyono. (2003). Statistika Untuk Penelitian. Bandung: Alfabeta. Tampubolon, DP. Kemampuan Membaca. Bandung: Angkasa.