Main Article Content
The objective of the study is to find out how the local culture-based material is being implemented in the class as well as the effect of implementing local culture-based material in improving the rural coastal area of Riau students’ vocabulary retention. This study was conducted using Classroom Action Research (CAR) method which utilized four phases according to Kemmis and McTaggart model which included planning, action, observation, and reflection. The subject of the study was 27 students from a second-grade classroom in Sains Tahfizh Islamic Center Siak Elementary School. For the data analysis, the researcher used interview guidelines, observation checklists, field notes, and tests to gain the data. The findings discovered that the implementation of local culture-based material successfully improved students’ vocabulary retention based on all of the subject's scores that reached the minimum criteria standard of 80 in the last post-test compared to the pre-test where a lot of students did not reach the minimum standard of criteria. The study also found that the implementation of local culture-based material brought positive impacts on students’ behavior in the classroom. It developed students’ enthusiasm in learning, increased students’ motivation in vocabulary learning, and improved students’ engagement during the learning activity. This study contributed on finding the impact of local culture-based material which benefited the teachers especially in the rural coastal area of Riau, students, and also future researchers.
- Alakrash, H., Edam, B., Bustan, E., Armnazi, M., Enayat, A., & Bustan, T. (2021). Developing English Language Skills and Confidence Using Local Culture-Based Materials in EFL Curriculum. Linguistica Antverpiensia, 548–564.
- Alizadeh, I. (2016). Vocabulary teaching techniques: A review of common practices.
- Alqahtani, M. (2015). The importance of vocabulary in language learning and how to be taught. International Journal of Teaching and Education, 3(3), 21–34.
- Ardianto, R. (2018). Role And Statistics Diskominfo Provincy Riau In Support Information Public. Universitas Islam Riau.
- Asyiah, D. N. (2017). THE VOCABULARY TEACHING AND VOCABULARY LEARNING: PERCEPTION, STRATEGIES, AND INFLUENCES ON STUDENTS’VOCABULARY MASTERY. Jurnal Bahasa Lingua Scientia, 9(2), 293–318.
- Burns, A. (2019). Action research in English language teaching: Contributions and recent developments. Second Handbook of English Language Teaching, 991–1005.
- Butarbutar, R., Uspayanti, R., Manuhutu, N., & Palangngan, S. T. (2019). Analyzing of puzzle local culture-based in teaching english for young learners. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 343(1), 12208.
- Clark, J. S., Porath, S., Thiele, J., & Jobe, M. (2020). Action research. New Prairie Press.
- Febriana, M., Nurkamto, J., Rochsantiningsih, D., & Muhtia, A. (2018). Teaching in rural Indonesian schools: Teachers’ challenges. International Journal of Multicultural and Multireligious Understanding, 5(5), 11–20.
- Hariyanto, O. I. B. (2016). Destinasi wisata budaya dan religi di Cirebon. Jurnal Ecodemica, 4(2), 214–222.
- Ismail, I. (2019). The impact of interactive reading using local folktales stories in supporting students’ vocabulary achievement in indonesian EFL learners. Majesty Journal, 1(2), 25–37.
- Kaspul, A., Faruq, U. M., & Urip, S. (2020). EXPLORING EFL TEACHERS’CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT: THE CASE OF INDONESIAN REMOTE SECONDARY SCHOOLS. Journal of Language and Education, 6(3 (23)).
- Kristiawan, D., Ferdiansyah, S., & Picard, M. (2022). Promoting Vocabulary Building, Learning Motivation, and Cultural Identity Representation through Digital Storytelling for Young Indonesian Learners of English as a Foreign Language. Iranian Journal of Language Teaching Research, 10(1), 19–36.
- Lessard-Clouston, M. (2013). Teaching Vocabulary. ERIC.
- Mahmud, Y. S. (2019). The representation of local culture in Indonesian EFL textbooks: Rationales and implications. Indonesian EFL Journal, 5(2), 61–72.
- Namaziandost, E., Tavakoli, M., & Izadpanah, S. (2021). Investigating EFL learners’ knowledge of vocabulary and idiomatic expressions in a culture-based instructional environment. Studies in English Language and Education, 8(3), 1080–1093.
- Octaberlina, L. R., & Anggarini, I. F. (2020). Teaching vocabulary through picture cards in Islamic Elementary School: a case study in Nida Suksa School, Thailand. Jurnal Madrasah.
- Ratminingsih, N. M., & Budasi, I. G. (2018). Local culture-based picture storybooks for teaching English for young learners. SHS Web of Conferences.
- Ratminingsih, N. M., Budasi, I. G., & Kurnia, W. D. A. (2020). Local Culture-Based Storybook and Its Effect on Reading Competence. International Journal of Instruction, 13(2), 253–268.
- Sudartini, S. (2012). Inserting local culture in English language teaching to promote character education. Jurnal Pendidikan Karakter, 1.
- Utari, U., & Degeng, I. N. S. (2017). Pembelajaran tematik berbasis kearifan lokal di sekolah dasar dalam menghadapi Masyarakat Ekonomi Asean (MEA). Jurnal Teori Dan Praksis Pembelajaran IPS, 1(1), 39–44.
- Yassi, A. H. (2017). Toward Local Culture Integration in EFL Classroom in Indonesia. Second NEDs Proceeding, STKIP-PGRI Banjarmasin.