Main Article Content
The study investigated about the correlation between mastery the vocabulary and fluency in speaking. Vocabulary is the words and exposes in articulation. Therefore, it is related to the utterances delivery fluently. The study applied qualitative method by using a case study. The researcher administrated observation and documentation as instrument of collecting the data. The instruments were carried out to describe the correlation between vocabulary mastery and speaking fluency. The researcher took 11 students as the samples of the study by purposive sampling technique. In addition, the correlation data in speaking tests were analyzed by using speaking assessment measurement systems. There were five times of observation sections. Then, the researcher also documented the final round of speaking test in class. The criteria of speaking assessment measure were; task achievement, fluency, language in use (i.e. vocabulary, pronunciation, and intonation), and duration. The result of the study showed that there are 3 students had score 41-60 (C in numeral core), 2 students had 61-80 (B in numeral score), and 81-100 (A in numeral score). In Conclusion, the result indicated that there is positive correlation between vocabulary and speaking skill. Vocabulary affected the students who fluent in speaking, and influenced vocabulary acquisition.
- Akhyak & Indramawan, A. (2013). Improving the students’ English speaking competence through story telling. International Journal of Language And Literature, 1(2).
- Alexandria. (2008). Association for supervision and curriculum development. Virginia: USA.
- International and Pan-American Copyright Conventions. (2006). Vocabulary & spelling success: In 20 minutes a day (4th ed.). United States, New York: Learning Express, LLC.
- Asramadhani & Murni, S. M. (n.d.). Improving students’ speaking skillin expressing offering by using role play technique.
- Brown, H. D. (2004). Language assessment: Principles and classroom practice. San Fransisco: San Fransisco State University.
- Burns, A. & Joyce, H. (1997). Focus on speaking. Sydney: Macquarie University.
- Bygate, M. (2009). Teaching the spoken foreign language. Handbook of Foreign Language Communication and Learning, 6. In K. Knapp and B. Seidlhofer (Eds.). Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- Cahyono, B. Y. & Widiati, U. (2008). The teaching of EFL vocabulary in the Indonesian context: The state of the art. TEFLIN Journal, 19(1).
- Creswell, J. W. (2012). Educational research; Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (4th ed.)., Library Of Congress Cataloging-In-Publication Data.
- Hornby, A. S. (1984). Oxford advanced learners’ dictionary of current English, Walton Street: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from Http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/knowledge-database/second-languageaquisition_sla.
- Ketabi, S. & Shahraki, S. H. (2011). Vocabulary in the approaches to language teaching. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 2(3).
- Mart, Ç. T. (2012). Developing speaking skills through reading. International Journal of English Linguistics, 2(6).
- Mehring, J. G. (n.d.). Developing Vocabulary in Second Language Acquisition: From Theories to the Classroom.
- Nakata, T. (2006). Implementing optimal spaced learning for English vocabulary learning: Towards improvement of the low-first method derived from the reactivation theory. The JALT CALL Journal, 2(2).
- Nation, P. (2005). Teaching vocabulary. Asian EFL Journal, 7(3).
- Oradee, T. (2012). Developing speaking skills using three communicative activities (Discussion, Problem-Solving, and Role-Playing). International Journal of Social Science and Humanity, 2(6).
- Oya, T., Emmanuel, M., & Jackie, G. (2009). The influence of language contact and vocabulary knowledge on the speaking performance of Japanese students of English. The Open Applied Linguistics Journal.
- Qodir, R. (n.d.). Bentuk-bentuk pedoman observasi, Retrieved from http://riantoqodir.blogspot.co.id/2015/06/bentuk-bentukpedoman-observasi.html.
- Schmitt, N. & McCarthy, M. (Eds.). (2006). Vocabulary: Description, acquisition and pedagogy. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from http://9 www1.harenet.ne.jp/~waring/papers/cup.
- Segalowitz, N. (2003). Automaticity and second languages. In The Handbook of Second Language Acquisition, in C. Doughty and M. Long (eds.), Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.
- Seken, M., Ratminingsih, K., & Made. (2013). The effect of discussion technique and English learning motivation toward students’ speaking ability, e-Journal Program Pascasarjana Universitas Pendidikan Ganesha Program Studi Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris, 1.
- Sugiyono. (2012). Metode penelitian kombinasi (Mixed methods). Bandung: CV. Alfabeta.
- Sukardi. (2008). Metodologi penelitian pendidikan. Bumi Aksara: Jakarta.
- Syamsudin, Ar, & Damaianti, V. S. (2011). Metode penelitian pendidikan bahasa, Bandung.
- Thornbury, S. (2002). How to teach vocabulary. London: Longman.
- Thornbury, S. (2004). How to teach speaking. Longman: Kanisius, Kesainc Blanc.
- Underwood, M. (1997). Teaching listening. New York: Longman Inc.
- Vilaça, M. L. C. (2009). Strategies in vocabulary teaching and learning. Estratégias no Ensinoe na Aprendizagem de Vocabulário Revista Eletrônica do Instituto de Humandades, 7(28).